The Birmingham City Schools science initiative will target the science performance of our students by:
- Providing standards-based, hands-on, inquiry-centered instruction to all students.
- Implementing research-based professional development programs that prepare all science teachers to guide students in inquiry-centered science.
- Implementing a support system for supplying science materials and apparatus to classrooms.
- Providing assessment methods consistent with the goals of an inquiry-centered science program.
- Increasing opportunities for higher-level science courses for high school students, including genetics, microbiology and advanced placement courses.
- Exposing students to extended learning opportunity using the McWane Science Center, Ruffner Mountain, Birmingham Botanical Gardens and other community entities.
- Providing opportunities for research and other practicing scientist from area universities, colleges and industry to work with students and teachers.