History of Barrett Elementary School
Barrett Elementary School was erected on the corner of 76th Street and Division Avenue in 1901. It was named East Lake School. In 1909, the school was renamed Barrett in honor of Dr. N.A. Barrett, who was the mayor of East Lake at that time. He later became the President of the Birmingham City Commission.
In 1925, additional space was added and again in 1928. In 1955, the original 1901 structure was torn down and replaced with a wing attached to the 1925 and 1928 structures. A two story east wing was completed in 1960. Barrett was completely renovated in 1978 and again since 2000. An additional east wing was completed in 2002.
Today, we have nearly 500 students and technology to fit the 21st Century. All of our teachers are Highly Qualified and provide quality instruction to fit the needs of every student.