A Brief History of A. H. Parker HIgh School
A. H. Parker High School is a public, urban high school located in the northern section of Birmingham, Alabama (Jefferson County). The school was conceptualized as the first public high school for Negro students in Birmingham. In 1900, its initial enrollment consisted of 18 students, compared to the 1,235 in 2006. With the addition of formal courses in industrial training, the school became known as Industrial High School. In 1924, construction for additions on Industrial High School began. The facilities fulfilled the dreams of Dr. Arthur Harold Parker, the first principal of Industrial High School. Upon Dr. Parker's retirement in 1939, the school's name was officially changed to A. H. Parker High School.
On August 10, 2011, the new Arthur Harold Parker High School opened its doors to students. The facility can accomodate 1,200 students. The school facility supports current curricular programs. The school also has a storied history of excellence in academics, athletics, cultural and fine arts, and community involvement.
This history continues today as A. H. Parker High School's students, faculty, staff, and alumni continue to leave their mark on this city, state, nation and world.