Hudson was established in 1908 in a church on 30th Ave. & 33rd St. A permanent school building was built in the present location in 1922. It was decided that the school would be named for Bertram A. Hudson, the first Black educator in Birmingham.
During the years 1950-1956, five sections were added to Hudson. The present facility was opened for the 2009-2010 school year. Since its initial accreditation in 1977, Hudson has received three expansions. Hudson has been a staple in the community for many years and plans to remain here for many years to come.